This article and related video outline a student's experience when taking an assessment.
Watch the video: Student Experience Overview
Step 1: Starting the Test
Students will be viewing their student dashboard when they first log in:
Any available assessments will be visible on this screen. A blank screen indicates there are no assessments assigned to the student.
When the student is ready to take an assessment, they should:
- Click Take Assessment, located to the right of the assessment name.
- A new screen prompts them to click on Start when they are ready to begin their assessment.
The LockDown Browser Experience (Coming Soon!)
When they click Take Assessment, they see a dialog box such as the following:
Step 2: Taking the Test
Once a student starts the test, questions appear on the left side of the page and item numbers on the right.
Items with passages show the passage on the left:
- Answering - Students should supply answers for each question. Once a question has been answered, the item number on the right changes from white to gray.
- Skipping - If students need to skip an item, they can click the blue Next button at the bottom right side of the screen. Or they can return to a previous item using the arrow key.
- Pausing - Students can pause their assessment using the Pause button: Note that the pause button is designed to pause the test temporarily. They can click Resume when ready to start again. However, please make sure that students click the logout button in the top right-hand corner of the screen before they completely close their browser window.
- Calculators - When a calculator-active item appears, student see a Calculator option appear above the question: Student can activate their calculator by clicking on the Calculator button. Student can also move their calculators by clicking and dragging the calculator tool. Here is a scientific calculator that could appear:
Students may click on the menu icon (located in the upper right corner) to access other options:
These options include:
- Full Screen - The assessment expands to occupy the entire screen.
- Notepad - A small dialog appears where students may enter notes to themselves. This dialog stays visible for the entire assessment.
To minimize the Notepad, click:
To hide the Notepad, click:
or choose Notepad from the menu again. Click Notepad to make it visible again, showing any notes entered previously.
Students may move the Notepad (click and drag the top title bar) or resize it (click and drag the lower right corner):
- Add sticky note - A small dialog appears where students may enter notes to themselves about an item. These are visible only on the item that is active when students click Add sticky note. There may be more than one sticky note per item.
To remove a sticky note, click:To minimize a sticky note, click:
The sticky note becomes visible as:
Students may move a sticky note horizontally (click and drag the top title bar) or resize it (click and drag the lower right corner):
- Choose Hide sticky notes from the menu icon if you want to hide them from view. Click Show sticky notes to make them visible again.
- Drawing mode - Toggles drawing mode on and off. When turned on, drawing mode allows a student to click and drag in a grid-lined space of the screen to create or edit lines/shapes:
The following drawing controls appear on the screen:
Pencil (select this to draw)
Erase (select this to click on a line and remove it)
Select color (select blue, red, green, or black)
Hide grid (toggles grid lines off and on)
Exit drawing mode (hides grid lines and controls but keeps drawings visible; alternatively, choose Drawing mode again)
- Choose Hide drawings from the menu if no drawings should be visible on any item.
- Choose Show drawings to make hidden drawings visible.
Students requiring the accommodation will have text-to-speech enabled, which allows them to view a text-to-speech toolbar on their assessments:
Students can hide or display the toolbar with the options menu:
See Text-to-Speech Functionality for complete information on using text-to-speech.
Step 3: Ending the Testing
When a student clicks on the last item of an assessment, the blue Next button changes to a Finish button. When the student clicks Finish, they are rerouted to the "Submit activity" screen to make sure that they are ready to submit their assessment. If there are questions that were not answered, students are warned about it on this screen.
At this point the student can either:
- Go back to the assessment by selecting No or
- Submit their assessment for grading, by clicking Yes. A message indicates that their answers have been submitted, and they can click Close:
Step 4: Logging Out
A student should log out of enCASE by clicking on the down arrow next to their name in the upper-right part of the screen and choosing Logout from the drop-down menu.
Teachers should refer to the Reports Overview article/video for more information on how to obtain report data.